Thursday 25 August 2016

Inspiration from all quarters.

Early retirement has brought some changes. One, is the abundance of holidays I seem to have had. Since my last day at work, December 2015 Tony and I have been to Budapest, Isle of Wight, Scotland and Malta.

In Edinburgh, we stayed for a couple of nights in a spa hotel and I surprised myself by having a couple of swims.  Nice bit of gentle breast stroke.

In Malta, our daughter Karen was with us for the first week. She had me up and out, at the beach, most mornings, before I could say, "What's for breakfast".  Sand in places I can't reach is bearable, if uncomfortable - but swimming... I loved it and I had forgotten how much.  Holiday over, I returned home back to a fairly sedentary existence.  Feet up, I settled in to watch week 2 of the Rio Olympics. It's great watching other people sweat. Did I mention that I lost about 4lb on holiday?  That's odd, I thought. Could it be all that swimming?

Then I saw the triathalons and marvelled at the stamina of the multi disciplined sports men and women. I thought about my old, (almost unused), sit up and beg bike that had mostly been stored outside. Before I knew what I was doing, I had bought a new bike, (better value that tarting up the old one), and had signed up for 'Everyone Active' at our local leisure centre. Swimming is free for over 60s.  Who knew?

Having been inspired by a hotel pool, my daughter, triathletes, weight loss, (much needed), and the lure of something free, I have set myself a goal and I'm feeling VERY motivated to exercise for 30 minutes, five times a week. I am further inspired by my friend John Manderson, who recently blogged on his Couch to 5k experience.  He made it!

Rough plan; Monday, Wednesday, Friday, morning; swim for thirty minutes.  Tuesday and Thursday, cycle for thirty minutes. Let's be clear, both are fairly leisurely at the moment and time in pool and on cycle, don't necessarily translate into swimming/pedalling time. But it's a start and if the inspiration keeps coming, I'll keep going.

Over 40 'likes' on Facebook means that people are behind me, so I don't want to let them down. Keep nudging me people!

I don't know if I will blog every day, but watch out for info on lengths, chatting women and gears.


No comments:

Post a Comment